Import and automate dynamic changes in AWS infrastructure

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • I'm trying to configure Icinga2 utilizing Director to import and automate hosts from AWS to Icinga, but I have no idea where to start. Do I need to export data from AWS into a database first? Can I do API calls and push data directly into Director? What's the best way to do this? If data is pushed to Director, how does it know how to read the data and format it for it's use. In AWS, I know I can use Lambda, Cloudwatch and/or SNS to get data out. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Which version of the Icinga Director are you using? Can you share insights which docs you've been following, did you already look into the AWS module?

• Version 1.4.1 and AWS module is only for auto scaling groups. I tried to read almost every possible resource out there, but there's really no steps for AWS to Icinga2 Director. I don't understand how import sources work or how to push real time data to Director to add and delete hosts for automation.

• You need to look into there by yourself, especially how to deal with import sources. I cannot help you with that, I've never done that myself.

You can to a lot of things with AWS, their API is quite good, and it might just need some more (programmatic) approaches to finally get all the data you need.