Updated FAQ: Guidelines and how to ask questions

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode. Please register a new account on our new community platform.

You can create a thread on the new site and link to an archived thread. This archive is available as knowledge base, safe and secured.

More details here.
  • Hi,

I've created a new page and menu entry for our general FAQ. Please read it carefully and follow the guidelines for continued use of this platform.

https://monitoring-portal.org/cms/index.php?faq/

New registrations will mention this in the disclaimer too.

My general idea is to guide new users (how to ask a question) but also tell about certain (unwanted) behaviour. This should hopefully help everyone to get a quick discussion and solutions going.

This obsoletes the old "how to ask a question" thread.

You can leave your feedback here and discuss additions and/or changes too.

Kind regards,

Michael

• nice one, looks great. could we add a section for tutorials?

Linux is dead, long live Linux

Remember to NEVER EVER use git repositories in a productive environment if you CAN NOT control them

• If one maintains a compiled list, sure. URLs tend to become outdated, that's what I want to avoid.

FAQ is a static HTML page writable by admins only. Two choices a) you join the admin team b) we have a maintained post somewhere for that which is linked in the FAQ, and anyone who wants write access, becomes a moderator.

• Wow, looks great.

Maybe one little addition to the chapter "Configuration and steps to reproduce or understand the question":

Keep your private information (passwords, hashes, secrets, etc.) private.