I am new to Icinga and now I am trying to understand how it can be used for my scenario.
I want to setup monitoring for different customers, their configs should be isolated from each other and distributed from master node to satellite.
After reading documentation I think that Top Down Config Sync is the most suitable for this scenario.
Lets say I have two customers: customerA and customerB. As I understand it works like this:
1. I setup one master node and one client in zone customerA, one client in zone customerB
2. I create hosts/service checks on master node and it is distributed automatically to the client in a corresponding zone
3. Checks are executed on clients
Several questions regarding above:
1. client in zone customerA will not know anything about host/service checks that are in zone customerB and wise versa - is this correct?
2. can I have many clients to run checks for a single zone? If yes, how does Icinga distribute these checks between clients?
3. do I need to use satellites? As I understand from documentation they are needed for scheduling and config distribution. This can be done by master
node, right? Does this mean that I need a satellite just to move scheduling from master?
4. all check results from all zones are sent back to master - right?
5. how do I know where particular check was executed (on which node)? In which log can I find this information?