[Check_MK] [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer, execution time 21.0 sec

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • Hi,

I have a problem with check_mk agent on some servers. Sometimes service Check_MK is getting [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer, execution time 21.0 sec, dont know why. Few moments later is ok.

Check_MK RAW ver. 1.4.0p7, servers have a Windows Server 2012 Std.

Best regards.

• Do these server have any agent plugins installed that need a long time to answer if executed? (e.g. the windows updates plugin)

• Please run C:\PathToAgent\check_mk_agent.exe test on the hosts to verify if the agent hangs at certain points while being executed.

• Generally i run check_mk_agent.exe test and it seems be fine but still at web its [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer, execution time 21.0 sec.

Fine means im not getting any error :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by hubertp ().

• Those connection resets usually are related to broken plugin executions or interrupts in the agent itself. There have been cases where the agent got a bug that led to a memory leak aswell. It is hard to debug the error to the core tbh. But the long execution time, when you get the errors, are pretty much pointing to a hanging agent. Or do they have such execution times all the time?

• hm, its weird because i have this problem in few of my servers (Win2k12). On every server i have x64 version of agent, maybe this is problem ? I download it from Check_MK web monitoring agents. But second think is that i use same agent on other servers and works fine.

I dont use any plugins. Maybe i should make some changes in config ? right now its default, or use another agent.

• No, there is nothing to aim for in the config file. You could try the 32bit agent, or a newer agent (1.4.0p9) or even an older agent.

• Does the executing user have the permissions set right on the host? I had this problem at my previous employers network with a few machines (back in the 1.2.8 days). If i'm remembering it right, it should be a system user to get the job done.

Edit: or it's the firewall. The german documentation mentions this command to make a firewall rule for the agent:

Code
    1. netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Check_MK" description="Monitoring" dir=in localport=6556 protocol=tcp action=allow program="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\check_mk\check_mk_agent.exe" profile=private,domain enable=yes

I don't know if it's working, I don't have any Windows hosts to test it.

German documentation (unfortunately this documentation part is missing in the english version)

• I have open on the firewall 6556 port, I tried the newest agent 1.4.0p9 and nothing.... I'm thinking about some alternative. For sure i want to monitoring server (Win2k12/16), MySQL.

Anyway... some any ideas about problem with errno 104 ?:)