windows_update always reports one update availible

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • Recently installed Icinga2 in my home lab. I have set it to monitor my Windows server and would like it to notify me when I have updates available. I am using the default windows_update check.

Windows is completely up to date, yet it still shows as Critical with a single update available.

What can I do to make this check act right?

• What is in c:\programdata\icinga2.../var/log/icinga2/icinga2.log regarding the execution of that check, so that we see which arguments it runs with ?

What Windows version ?

• Windows 7. I don't see anything in that log related to the check.

Code
    1. { icinga2 } » grep windows icinga2.log
    2. { icinga2 } »
    Code
    1. { icinga2 } » grep update icinga2.log
    2. [2017-07-31 15:09:18 Mountain Daylight Time] information/ApiListener: Sending config updates for endpoint 'debian'.
    3. [2017-07-31 15:09:18 Mountain Daylight Time] information/ApiListener: Finished sending config updates for endpoint 'debian'.
  • May be your check does not run at all so that the last state is shown ?

You should icinga2 feature enable debuglog and see something like the below then:

Code
    1. [2017-08-04 10:11:03 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit] debug/CheckerComponent: Executing check for 'TestHost!Windows-Update'
    2. [2017-08-04 10:11:03 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit] notice/Process: Running command '"C:\Program Files\ICINGA2\/sbin/check_update.exe" -w': PID 2988
    3. [2017-08-04 10:11:03 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit] debug/CheckerComponent: Check finished for object 'TestHost!Windows-Update'
    4. [2017-08-04 10:11:05 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit] notice/Process: PID 2988 ('"C:\Program Files\ICINGA2\/sbin/check_update.exe" -w') terminated with exit code 0

• The check is running on the right host. When I actually had updates a few days ago it showed the correct number of updates available, but after they were done being applied it still shows 1 update.

Based on the linked thread it may be that I have hidden updates (Skype for business) - could that be causing this?