Sattelite Hardware Performance

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • Hello,

we are using ICINGA 2.4.1 with Icingaweb2, Director, PNP and Nagvis on a Centos 7 VM, to check about 200 Hosts + 30 Services.

We have many small offices around the country in which we'd like to install Sattelites to Perform checks locally and Report back to our Master.

We need to check a maximum of 30 Hosts per office. We considered buying small netop computers where we install the sattelites on.

Which specs should a Sattelite have that checks 30 Hosts (check_interval 3-5 minutes) in our case?

regards,

SammY

• it really depends on the checks you want to run, for simple satellite that distribute config and report the checks back, something the size of a rapsberry pi would most likely be enough

Linux is dead, long live Linux

Remember to NEVER EVER use git repositories in a productive environment if you CAN NOT control them

• Checks are most likely ping4, http(s) service check, check_snmp for temperature. If this fits on rasperry pis it would be awsome.

• you can test it, simply install icinga2 on a rasbPi and use it as a satellite. Also take note that a RasbPi is not made for 24/7 service use something similar that is built for it.

Linux is dead, long live Linux

Remember to NEVER EVER use git repositories in a productive environment if you CAN NOT control them

• The snmp check would take a bit more resources, but the rest would be 30 hosts á 5 services every 3 minutes.

Take a raspberry pi 3 and you should be good - but i am with Kevin.Honka here: buy one and test it.

If you really run into performance issues, replace check_ping with check_icmp and adjust the concurrent_checks property.

• I am with Kevin.Honka and sru , a Raspberry PI 3 should be good for your needs.

But one thing should be considered, there is currently a open discussion/decision on GitHub, if the Icinga Team should maintain and ship armhf packages. It is possible that there is no official support for the armhf platform in the future.

• If that is the case, i would go for an x64 based hardware that is known to run pfsense or an intel nuc.

• Thank you Raspberry 3 is more than enough.

Of course it is.

I was referring to the below:

But one thing should be considered, there is currently a open discussion/decision on GitHub, if the Icinga Team should maintain and ship armhf packages. It is possible that there is no official support for the armhf platform in the future