creating data fields for nsclient

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • Hello All

I am in the process of testing icinga2 + director, I am looking into creating services for monitoring windows services such as SQL, remote desktop and such. I know I will be able to do this using the nsclient and by creating a data field. My question is when installing nsclient it tells you to create a port, password and more. So within icinga2 do I have to pass all these variables when creating the custom fields for my hosts or do I have to just pass the variable I want.

Thanks

• Are you bound to the nsclient? if not, use Icinga2 as a Check-Execution-Bridge or the WMI-plus check, which will be better in my opinion.

Linux is dead, long live Linux

Remember to NEVER EVER use git repositories in a productive environment if you CAN NOT control them

• I am not sure, I installed the client on the windows machine but thought since I am using the director/agent setup icinga2 would connect to it. I am trying to automate anything I can through director and if I go with the wmi path would it be defined through the director or outside of it?

Thanks

• you can define the wmi queries like services in director and use the wmi plus check command in each service.

Just be aware that querying WMI is to be done in moderation as they take time.

The ideal solution would be to install icinga2 on the servers and configure it via the kickstart script

Remember to NEVER EVER use git repositories in a productive environment if you CAN NOT control them

• ok thanks, and I do have icinga2 client on the servers and configured then using the kickstart script. That's what I am using to check disk and other services. But I need to check local services such as SQL and such on some servers. if I can do this using icinga2 client that would be great, but haven't found anything on that. From what I read I needed to use nsclient.

• nah you do not need the nsclient for that.

Use WMI, it can give you all the information you could ever want, and is the source for many of the checks, the nsclient would use.

• Forgive me if this is completely wrong, as I am not familiar with the Icinga2 Agent for Windows (bc I still use the standalone NSClient for that).

I assume, that the check commands in director with ".exe" are the ones that are provided/used by the Icinga2 Agent?

Then why not use the service-windows (check_service.exe) command to check different services?