Icinga2 deamon won't start after manubulon-snmp plugin install

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • Hello All,

today I've tried to install manubulon-snmp plugins into our test instance of Icinga2. Everything went OK until I got to the step where i have to restart Icinga2 deamon, so that the changes made during installation would became effective. At that point systemctl just returns error Job for icinga2.service failed because the control process exited with error code. Steps taken during installation of plugin and full systemctl error output are bellow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Installations steps:

Systemctl status output (after icinga deamon failed to start):

UPDATE: if I delete /etc/icinga2/conf.d/command-plugins-manubulon.conf, than icinga2 deamon starts without problem, but of course no manubulon commands are visible in Icinga2web -> Director -> Commands.

• From what i see, you copied the file file from the itl to conf.d thus getting duplicate objects.

Omitting that copy is completly the right thing to do, as the itl is included in any case.

For that the director does not see the commands, i guess a re-import could help - but i am not a director expert.

Validate your configuration:

icinga2 daemon --validate

after making changes but before reloading the icinga2 daemon.

Than you see that you in fact redefine all of the manubolon objects with your copy (deleted some lines for readability):

Code
    1. root@debian88:/usr/share/icinga2/include# icinga2 daemon --validate
    2. information/cli: Icinga application loader (version: r2.6.3-1)
    3. information/cli: Loading configuration file(s).
    4. critical/config: Error: Object 'snmp-manubulon-command' of type 'CheckCommand' re-defined:
    5. in /etc/icinga2/conf.d/command-plugins-manubulon.conf: 24:1-24:46;
    6. previous definition: in /usr/share/icinga2/include/command-plugins-manubulon.conf: 24:1-24:46
    7. /etc/icinga2/conf.d/command-plugins-manubulon.conf(24): template CheckCommand "snmp-manubulon-command" {
    8. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The post was edited 1 time, last by sru ().

• After you installed the additional check commands, you have to run the kickstart of the director again.

Linux is dead, long live Linux

Remember to NEVER EVER use git repositories in a productive environment if you CAN NOT control them

• Out of curiosity - where did you read about that copy command?

Code
    1.  [root@icinga plugins]# cp /usr/share/icinga2/include/command-plugins-manubulon.conf /etc/icinga2/conf.d/command-plugins-manubulon.conf
  • Sure, I've read about it in this tutorial.

Anyway, even after installing manubulon plugins I still wasn't able to monitor all types of my switches (HP jg933a and 1920), so I went back to reading documentation on official site and managed to create "my own" plugin for this two types of switches (could've probably just extended the manubulon scripts but didn't want to mess something up , since it was now finally working ;) ).

Just wanted to point out, that documentation is really very well written and easy to follow. Great job guys! :)

Now to the new challenge - setting up mail and SMS notifications.

• Oh, ok. Thanks for sharing the URL. That isn't really correct and I advise against it :)

The Manubulon plugins have a long history, and are far from perfect. I kept using them in my old job, or at home, and gave them a home for patches on GitHub. Though I don't have any test hardware, or much time to maintain them. I'm just hoping they do help someone, but there are certainly better plugins out there (i.e. Gerhards check_*_health plugins).

• After you installed the additional check commands, you have to run the kickstart of the director again.

Hello,

I am new to this topic - can you please explain how the kickstart wizard can be started manually again?

Thank you!

• additionally, I may ask what happenes to my config after the installation of the manubulon commands, as cicinga2 is not started anymore:

• Probably the file is included twice. Please show the content of your icinga2.conf file.

ok, Thank you! the <include> statement what added twice.

now icinga2 starts!

However, I don't see the new commands in Director. Can you please tell me how they are incloded there?

• via the command line I an error, I guess it's because a kickstart.ini is missing?

However, I finally found the Kickstart wizard in the web frontend.

To all those who did not know: It is located in "Deployments" > Tab 'Infrastructure'

Now the commands are there.

Thank you!