icinga2 satellite snmp service fail

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • Hi!

I got a problem with defining a service for a satellite Ubuntu. I wrote this service in the "hosts.conf" in my icinga2 of the master. But when I look at the icingaweb2 of the master I just get this Critical Message. Any idea where I failed?

• I think your hostname should be the IP or DNS name of the device you want to check.

You could also activate the debuglog and look at it when it runs the check to get some more information.

Linux is dead, long live Linux

Remember to NEVER EVER use git repositories in a productive environment if you CAN NOT control them

• I changed the hostname to the host name of my device (want to check the input voltage of it). but now I got a question: when I'm checking the device from my master, then I don't need the satellite pc ?

• The satellite should do the check .. I already made a Service for the SNMP Check at the satellite but when I do the "icinga2 node list" I can't see my defined Service.

Then I added the Device in the hosts.conf of my Satellite and now the Services are available at the Icingaweb2 from my master.

Am I right that the check is now being done by the satellite?

And will the satellite store the data if the connection is lost to the master? (Bottom Up)

• Am I right that the check is now being done by the satellite?

If by device you mean service, then yes.

And will the satellite store the data if the connection is lost to the master? (Bottom Up)

What data do you mean? The replay log is kept for log_duration (default 1 day)

• Ok then I'd use the top down config sync mode, define the host/service config inside zones.d/<satellitezone>/ and let the master push that automatically to the client. I suppose your current setup tries to execute the check on the master, doesn't it?

• You're right dnsmichi, I'm trying to let a network card being monitored by a satellite PC and this satellite PC should give the data by icinga to the master server's icinga. I thought I could do some kind of a bottom up, because when the connection gets lost to the master the satellite can still monitor data and send it afterwards to the master to draw it in e.g. the Graphite plugin. Is this possible?

• That also is possible with using the top down config sync approach. I'd say you'd give it a try inside a small test lab (2 vms, e.g. the vagrant boxes) and look how it feels with putting the config in zones.d.

• okay I have one test lab and I will now try monitoring it with top down and bottom up, but I can find the difference in the configuration for top down and bottom up. could you post a link please?