Windows Icinga2 - Complete unattended install?

This forum was archived to /woltlab and is now in read-only mode.
  • Is it in the roadmap to have the windows Icinga2 installer accept all options on the command line to allow for complete unattended installation? ( replicating what we can do with Linux )

• We have over 800 Windows Server which all should be provisioned with the Icinga2 Agent. So we really need a way of automating the installation!
    Executing the node wizard 800 times is NO option... ;)

• We have over 800 Windows Server which all should be provisioned with the Icinga2 Agent. So we really need a way of automating the installation!
    Executing the node wizard 800 times is NO option... ;)

Are those server under your control and won't dynamically be added / removed? You could use puppet / other config management tools to deploy all the files and pre-generated all signed certificates for the initial config. Then maybe use the top-down configuration of Icinga2 for future changes.

In my case, it's a service added to servers not under our control, so using config management is not an option.

• Is it in the roadmap to have the windows Icinga2 installer accept all options on the command line to allow for complete unattended installation? ( replicating what we can do with Linux )

This should already work fine. Please have a look at this Powershell module: Icinga 2 Powershell Module. It does a great job in abstracting what you are looking for. Just use it like a library and build your own logic around it.

It has been written by one of our sales(!!) people. Really, I'm not kidding. I gave some assistance and guidance, but he mostly wrote it alone. Guess how skilled our developers are if this is what our sales people do ;-) I want a future Icinga Director version to provide single shot installation and/or upgrade scripts based on this module. They will be offered for download through web, commandline and API and rendered dedicatedly for each single host. Similar to what Director currently shows for Linux Agents. Just better. This will include the key signing ticket and an opinionated Agent-only config with correct zone and endpoint definitions for Windows systems.

But you do not need the Director for this at all. The module has been written with automation and unattended installation in mind. It works quite well, he really did an amazing job on this.

Cheers,
    Thomas

• This should already work fine. Please have a look at this Powershell module: Icinga 2 Powershell Module. It does a great job in abstracting what you are looking for. Just use it like a library and build your own logic around it.
    It has been written by one of our sales(!!) people. Really, I'm not kidding. I gave some assistance and guidance, but he mostly wrote it alone. Guess how skilled our developers are if this is what our sales people do ;-) I want a future Icinga Director version to provide single shot installation and/or upgrade scripts based on this module. They will be offered for download through web, commandline and API and rendered dedicatedly for each single host. Similar to what Director currently shows for Linux Agents. Just better. This will include the key signing ticket and an opinionated Agent-only config with correct zone and endpoint definitions for Windows systems.

But you do not need the Director for this at all. The module has been written with automation and unattended installation in mind. It works quite well, he really did an amazing job on this.

Cheers,
    Thomas

AWESOME!!!! Exactly what I needed! Danke Thomas!

• This should already work fine. Please have a look at this Powershell module: Icinga 2 Powershell Module. It does a great job in abstracting what you are looking for. Just use it like a library and build your own logic around it.

Cheers,
    Thomas

Will this work in conjunction with Director? I'm trying to get some remote powershell scripts to work via the agent but I'm not having any luck via Director. I've already got director working for a lot of other stuff - but I need powershell to check some things that are not included with the built in checks such as checking to see if the daily backup failed..etc.

• Thanks @plarivee for the info! I didn't know about the possibility to pre sign the certificates for the agents...

@TomGelf this Powershell Module is great! It will significantly help us with deploying the Icinga 2 agent to over 800 Windows Servers! :)