Web Setup Wizard errors out on setting up Monitoring ISO Resource

install

Hi Community,

Environment: Brand new, vanilla minimal CentOS 7 from latest ISO, with default security (SELinux).
Me: newbie to Icinga and Linux, so please be patient with me.

I wish the Icinga Web 2 install documentation (https://icinga.com/docs/icingaweb2/latest/doc/02-Installation/) would be as accurate and straight-forward as the Icinga2 doco (https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/02-getting-started/).

I followed them both to the letter until I bumped into inconsistencies / incompleteness / overlapping instructions / confusing statements, ending up with a failing Monitoring IDO setup wizard.

The Icinga Web 2 documentation should be a natural flow-on of where the Icinga 2 “Getting Started” install instructions end. Instead, it repeats steps that have already been done in the initial setup, such as installing the web server, setting up package repositories etc. WHY??? Confused the heck out of me until I realisesd that this has already been done in the initial install.

It isn’t clear whether in my case (CentOS 7) I need to set up FPM. The Web 2 setup doco makes this statement under the “Setting up FPM” section: “If you are on CentOS / RedHat 6 or 7, or just want to run Icinga Web 2 with PHP-FPM instead of the Apache module.” - so, if I read it correctly, on CentOS/RedHat 6/7 FPM is a must, while for all other is optional. Can you please confirm?

There is also no details whatsoever on how to configure users.

In the wizard, on the “Monitoring Backend” page, what is “Backend Name”? is it the icinga running instance name? Is it the database? How do any parts of the documentation relate to this field and where to find the correct value?

On the “Monitoring IDO Resource” page:

• What should be set as “Resource Name” and where do I find the correct value / a hint in the documentation?
  • Database name: is it the same database that’s been configured in the Getting Started doco under the “Configuring DB IDO MySQL” section, or a new onee will be created specifically for the Web 2 module?
  • Username / password: what are these? Service accounts under which the Web 2 feature will work, or administrative account (root?) used to configure IDO?

When using root, Validate Configuration gives “There is currently no icinga instance writing to the IDO. Make sure that a icinga instance is configured and able to write to the IDO.”. Is this normal? I don’t see this in other tutorials and videos.

When using icinga / icinga (from /etc/icinga2/feature-availabe/ido-mysql.conf, after un-commenting all related lines and restarting my CentOS server), I get “Failed to successfully validate the configuration: Connection failed SQLSTATE[HY000] [1044] Access denied for user ‘icinga’@‘localhost’ to database ‘icinga’”

It appears to me that there is a lot of assumed knowledge which is fine for developers/contributors, but for a rookie like me just makes no sense.

To preempt things: I read the documentation - please don’t refer me to it. If the documentation would be accurate then I would not hit this problem and wouldn’t have to post this question.

Please provide some guidance as to how this all is supposed to fit together.

Thank you.

Hi,

I’m not sure if FPM is a must for CentOS, but I use it also (for the two servers running CentOS and icinga2).

The names can be chosen as you wish, but imo should resemble the information they “hold”.
The Monitoring backend is your icinga2 instance or rather the icinga2 IDO database that you configure with “Monitoring IDO Resource”

If I’m not mistaken this database has to be created manually (see: https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/02-getting-started/#setting-up-the-mysql-database)
After icinga2 is running you can start the Icinga Web2 setup and configured the rest, like the db for the users.
The setup wizard will ask you for the details for this db, e.g.:

If the DB does not exist, the wizard will ask for the root credentials on the next page and will automatically set up the needed database.

Hope this helps :slight_smile: