SignUp: Having read the FAQ and ToS

(Michael Friedrich) #1

I’m following a discussion on Discourse Meta about agreeing to ToS and FAQ explicitly. That’s something required by law in the EU, next to the ToS/Legal Notice linked on all pages for websites hosted in Germany.

Boring legal stuff, I know, but better safe than sorry. Continued use of this platform requires you to have understood what’s written in the Terms of Service and FAQ.

I’ve found this topic where such a field can be put onto the signup page, and I am testing this now in production. Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Michael

(Michael Friedrich) #2

I’ve modified the text to explicitly accept the ToS, as per feedback from

Again, please let me know if you agree on that, or anything else. This is important.

Cheers,
Michael

(Philipp Näther) #3

I agree, but what is with the users that already signed up? And is there a reference in the db for every user that have read/accepted the ToS and FAQ?

(Michael Friedrich) #4

No solution for that, being honest here. If you are a commercial entity, legal says you would need to send an update to all users and enforce the new ToS by a date, to let users delete their account. If you are a non-commercial community platform, I do not know what exactly applies here. Putting that here and making everyone to virtually agree with reading and posting might or might not work.

I’m looking for opinions and experiences.