Issues with Jasper Reports

(josh) #1

Apologize if this is in the wrong section.

My issue is essentially that I finally was able to get JasperReports up and installed on a remote host. But I’m having a bunch of issues I’m not sure is the issue of an install/configuration problem from myself or if Icinga is not compatible with Jasper. Also to note that I do have icinga-reporting 1.10 installed as you can see the templates are indeed there in the screenshot.

Here are some things:

• I get a notification for something, lets say Check Memory on [host] but when I run “notification report for services in given time” nothing shows up.
  • Same thing as above to a point, Check Memory is in critical, which should be downtime if I’m not mistaken, yet when I run “downtime report about a selected service”, nothing shows up.
  • When I run “Host availability report” for any host, I get a bunch of “100% nonok” for services that are completely fine and haven’t went critical for months.
  • Another example below
dns00-ns00 is DOWN!

Info:    CRITICAL - 111.111.111.111 lost 20% > 20%

When:    2018-09-19 10:30:26 -0400
Host:    dns00-ns00
IPv4:	 111.111.111.111

As you can see, host is down. Critical, but if you look at a screenshot below, the “host downtime report” shows nothing.

I’ve read that Icingas logs don’t mesh well with the reporting options (like I only got one day of alerts for thruk and then nothing after the initial install date for thruk). I’m assuming this is purely an icinga problem but I want to make sure before I pass to management that there exists no competent automated reporting tools for icinga.

How to create Icinga2 reports?
(watermelon) #2

There are some extra steps required in getting these reports working correctly. I think as it stands, all of those reports don’t quite work correctly out of the box for whatever reason (probably somewhat due to schema changes over the years as the those templates were created 4 - 5 years ago). @unic had a post on this thread that highlighted one of the availability functions being broken when used by JasperReports.

My comment on the other thread saying how you don’t have to start from scratch meant that you have the structure of the report crafted for you already, now you have to figure out how to get the data that you want into those reports (SQL queries).

You will also have to use JasperReports Studio to be able to see all of the different elements that make up these reports as well as created your own reports based on the format of these older reporting templates. I would suggest getting to know the Studio software (as tedious as it is) by running through some of the tutorials Jaspersoft has on their website.

What kind of reports are you looking to create? For instance, I made a report that generates daily to check storage usage on various hosts as well as a few other similar types of reports.

there exists no competent automated reporting tools for icinga.

I think as it stands, there is nothing really supported by Icinga in terms of reporting (double check with @dnsmichi), but AFAIK there was talk about developing some type of Icinga reporting module in the relatively near future.

(Carsten Köbke) #3

(watermelon) #4

well there’s your proof @raptureveteran!

(Michael Friedrich) #5

We’re currently working on a new backend which is the base for more reporting capabilities. You can watch the full talk by Eric from Icinga Camp Berlin 2018 on Youtube.

More updates happen highly likely at OSMC later this year.

(josh) #6

Well goodness gracious how long do I have to wait for the reporting tool to hit the next yum update i run

(Noname2244) #7

Availability reports, and export to pdf for upper management is a really important feature! It will bring on more enterprise customers and hence support contracts!

(Swizzly) #8

Hi @dnsmichi, many thanks for the video, it is very interesting. Isn’t it missing the final part, it seems to end so abruptly. When will be the NoMa2 and the Reporting Modules available for the public?

(Michael Friedrich) #9

At first glance, they need to be implemented new and what’s missing coming from feedback rounds. I cannot tell any dates other than 2019, since there’s a whole lot more to plan, design and maintain. Likewise our new backend needs to be finished as well. Watch https://icinga.com/blog for future updates on the matter.