Thanks for considering to write a community howto and share the knowledge
Where to start
Discourse provides the possibility to create posts as wiki entry. These can be edited by other members including a revision history.
Just create a new topic in here. If you want to edit an existing wiki entry, you’ll recognize the button
- Add the original author/maintainer
- Add a short revision version e.g.
- Use Markdown only (and some HTML if needed)
- English language
> Author: @dnsmichi > > Revision: v0.1 > > Tested with: > - Icinga 2 v2.8.x > - Icinga Web 2 v2.5.x
Howtos should provide structured headings (just like this topic). Could look like this:
# Introduction # Requirements ## Linux ## Windows # Installation ## Webserver # Configuration # Conclusion # FAQ
Make sure to format code blocks, installation commands, logs with code tags in Markdown.
URLs, images, headings, bold, italic, etc. also enhance readability.
Discourse renders Markdown in your browser as you type.
Ask other community members to review your howto.
If you find any howto which is outdated, do the following:
- If it is just a typo, fix it.
- If you want to propose a (breaking) change, reply to the topic and discuss it with the original author
- If it is outdated and there is no reply within a month, edit it and mark it as outdated (with a gentle emoji)