Downtime handling

(Roland) #1

I’m struggling with scheduled downtimes and want to find out the correct handling.

Scheduling a downtime could be activated for services too if All Services is checked in the Scheduled Host Downtime window.

If I then want to end the downtime earlier than planned, I can remove the scheduled downtime by hitting the red cross (at the host). However, I couldn’t find something like All Services, hence, this has to be done for every service as well? (Which could be simplified by marking all services, select xx scheduled downtimes and select remove all xx scheduled downtimes)

Planning a downtime without checking All Services I’d presume to get notifications for services, but this does not happen. Is this intended behavior?

When the host then comes back online, I get some but not all service failure notifications.

As a conclusion I’d plan downtimes by scheduling host and all services downtimes. And if it ends earlier I have to delete the host downtime scheduled and all services downtime schedules manually. Correct?

Info: Icinga2 r2.10.2-1 and Icingaweb2 2.6.2

Icinga 2 automatically adds an implicit dependency for services on their host. That way service notifications are suppressed when a host is DOWN or UNREACHABLE . This dependency does not overwrite other dependencies and implicitely sets disable_notifications = true and states = [ Up ] for all service objects.

Service checks are still executed. If you want to prevent them from happening, you can apply the following dependency to all services setting their host as parent_host_name and disabling the checks. assign where true matches on all Service objects.
https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/03-monitoring-basics/#implicit-dependencies-for-services-on-host