Check VNXe via EMC Agent

checkmk
emc
vnxe
storage

(Leon) #1

Hi,

I want to monitor a VNXe3200 with the integrated EMC Agent.
When you go to Host & Service Parameters and hover over the rule “Check state of EMC VNX storage systems” it says

This rule selects the EMC VNX agent instead of the normal Check_MK Agent and allows monitoring of EMC VNX storage systems by calling naviseccli commandline tool locally on the monitoring system. Make sure it is installed and working. You can configure your connection settings here.

I searched for naviseccli and created an account on dell/emc to download navisphere cli. The download link is broken, I’ve got a 403 Access Denied - You do not have access to the file error.

Is there anyone who monitors VNXe with check_mk or anyone who knows how to get the naviseccli to implement it on the monitoring slave?

Kind regards
Leon

I can access the site and I have to login, use another browser…

(Leon) #3

Okay, thanks.
The download was successful.

Now I’ve got a .rpm package, is this the correct way to install it on the slave?

(Philipp Näther) #4

Simply use the package manager of your linux distri to install the rpm. For SLES it is for example:

# zypper in package.rpm

or for all distributions rpm

# rpm -hv package.rpm (-h for displaying hash, -v more details)

After that, test the naviseccli on command line as site user. Dell provides a detailed documentation about how to use the naviseccli tool.

(Leon) #5

I use Ubuntu 16.04 as operating system, sorry that I didn’t provide the information.

This ist the output of the Navisphere CLI:

./naviseccli -Address x.x.x.x -User admin -Password xxxx -Scope 1
Error returned from the target: x.x.x.x
CLI commands are not supported by the target storage system.

This sounds weird, is my system not compatible with Navisphere? Thought that every VNXe is readable by Navisphere… Maybe I have to contact the EMC Support :roll_eyes:

(Philipp Näther) #6

Seems like VNXe does not support naviseccli, only VNX does. But the VNXe docs refer to uemcli. I wrote an addon for check_mk for EMC Unity systems that use uemcli aswell. Its worth a try to see if it also works for VNXe:

for cmk < 1.5.0x: https://github.com/ImTheLucKyOne/check_mk_emcunity
for cmk >= 1.5.0x: https://github.com/ImTheLucKyOne/check_mk_emcunity/tree/cmk-1.5.0-compatibility

(Leon) #7

When I install Unisphere CLI via alien and want to execute it with my root-user for testing purposes, I get the following error:

./uemcli: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_thread-gcc41-mt-1_43.so.1.43.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Edit: installation of libboost-thread1.58.0 or libboost-thread-dev didn’t resolve the error.

(Leon) #8

Okay, it works when executing /opt/emc/uemcli/bin/uemcli.sh instead of ./uemcli.
I then executed OMD[fchdh]:~$ /opt/emc/uemcli/bin/uemcli.sh -d x.x.x.x -u admin -p xxx -saveUser to connect to the system once.

Then I created a home directory and installed the mkp on the master (it should push the mkp on the slave too because of distributed WATO).

I configured the user and password in the created rule and checked for services on the vnxe.
No results yet. :frowning:

(Philipp Näther) #9

Run #uemcli -d IP -u admin -p password /env/disk show -detail and see if it gives some useful output. If not, my extension does not work for VNXe systems.

(Leon) #10

Hey Philipp,

it works on the cli but only with following command:

root@checkmk-slave-fch01:/opt/emc/uemcli/bin# ./uemcli.sh -d x.x.x.x -u admin -p xxx /env/disk show -detail

This does not work:

root@checkmk-slave-fch01:/opt/emc/uemcli/bin# uemcli -d x.x.x.x -u admin -p xxx /env/disk show -detail
uemcli: command not found

When I search for services in WATO, nothing is displayed but the created rule with the admin credentials matches.

(Philipp Näther) #11

Create a symlink to /opt/emc/uemcli/bin/uemcli.sh in /usr/bin/. I am wondering why it didn’t do it automatically.

(Leon) #12

So Philipp, just thank you!
Hereby I can confirm that your check plugin officially works with VNXe! :tada:

Perform the following steps to monitor VNXe with check_mk:

1. Search dell.com/support for VNXe Unisphere CLI (Linux 64-bit) and download it. Copy the file to the check_mk server that should monitor the VNXe (master or slave). Install the .rpm on debian-based systems by using alien.

2. Create a home directory for the site user who executes the check on the check_mk server and make sure that the user has the appropriate permissions for this directory.

3. Create a symbolic link if needed with ln -s /opt/emc/uemcli/bin/uemcli.sh /usr/bin/uemcli

4. Run # uemcli -d <VNXe adress> -u admin -p <password> /env/disk show -detail and Accept and Store the certificate by entering 3 and press Enter.

5. Download on master the specific mkp

1. Install the mkp on the master by using your master-site user and install it with
    OMD[master]:/$ mkp install emcunity300-x.x.x.mkp
    The master will push the mkp to your configured slaves if its configured in “Distributed Monitoring” in your WATO. You can check this when logging in on your slave with the site user and do a OMD[siteB]:~$ mkp list

2. Search for the rule Check state of EMC Unity 300 storage system in Host & Service Parameters and create a host-specific rule to enter the admin credentials.

3. Search on the specific VNXe Host for services and add them to your monitoring.