Additional plugins

discourse

(Michael Friedrich) #1

Hi,

this is a list of possible plugins I’ve researched so far. Each plugin we add to this site, does have some things to keep in mind:

• plugins can break on upgrade
  • plugins may be abandoned, so no reliable usage path
  • they may slow down the overall page
  • or they interfere with the general layout

There’s no guarantee for adding these, just a list for discussion.

Additional Plugins

Spoilers

Sitemap

Might help bot crawlers.

Who is online

Metrics

More for internal monitoring, grabbing all sort of metrics via http endpoint. Might be adopted into an Icinga specific one.

Plugins which we won’t add

Tasks

Please discuss and add your own suggestions.

(Kevin Honka) #2

I’m currently happy with the forum as it is.
The plugins do seem to be nice, especially the who is online one, but I do not think we really need those.

(Philipp Näther) #3

I liked the whos-online feature on the old site and some users might think spoilers are a must have but I think the site is good as it is now and personally I prefere performance over endless functionality. Keep it clean :slight_smile:

I am also happy with the forum as it is now. The who is online plugin could be a nice extension, but I think that it is not mandatory necessary. I assume we can live without it, if it breaks at an update.

For the spoiler plugin I honestly didn’t see the use case here for us. I maybe would see it if the spoilers add a expandable section (e.g. for big configs or stack traces), but as far as I understand the plugin just adds a blur to the text, that disappears on click.

(Thomas Widhalm) #5

The plugins seem like a nice idea but I think we should keep it as simple as possible.

(Michael Friedrich) #6

Thank you for all the input. I thought I’d just share them as I was not so transparent in the platform announcement topic.

I’m fine without any further plugins :slight_smile:

The cool thing about Discourse is - you can hop onto meta.discourse.org by yourself and discuss and request features. No need to be a customer or so :smiley:

Cheers,
Michael