Difference between Icinga2 User and Icinga2 Contact

• I'd like to know the difference between the two. I know that Contacts (as created in conf.d/users.conf) are used for Notifications and Users are the Login-Users. Is there anything else? Furthermore is there a way to combine both? LIke, I would like to assign the Admin-User as a Contact for getting Emails for all serious issues. I know that I can manually create a Contact Admin with the same information that the User has. But is there a smarter way?

• There is no contact object in Icinga2.

That is the user object here.

an ApiUser object exists as well, that is where credentials of api calls are checked against.

Perhaps you are not talking about icinga2 but icingaweb2 ?

• There is no contact object in Icinga2.

That is the user object here.

an ApiUser object exists as well, that is where credentials of api calls are checked against.

Perhaps you are not talking about icinga2 but icingaweb2 ?

You are of course right. I am talking about Icinga2web. Sorry for the confusion.

When I use the term contact, I am referring to the object User as defined in /etc/icinga2/conf.d/users.conf. In Icinga2-Web, these are shown in Overview --> Contacts. Are these Users completely separated from the Web-Users (Users loging in into the webinterface).

• Yes, they are.

As you recognized, Overvierw/Contacts shows icinga2 user type objects - whereever these might be configured

(.../conf.d/ or ../zones.d/zonename or via the api, including the director).

Whereas /system/authentification shows icingaweb2 users and the roles / rights assigned to them - these being records in the

icingaweb2 sql database.

• Icinga Web 2 uses the old naming schema, since it is reading that from the IDO schema. That one works also with 1.x.

There are plans to change that inside the Interface, to keep it in common with Icinga 2 where "Users" are meant for notification configuration only.