Icinga2, update-windows check fails for Windows 10 and Server 2016 clients, "Failed to format error message, last error was: 2149863436"

• Hi there,

Anyone else experience plugin check error as per the thread topic?

Am running Icinga 2 r2.6.2-1 Master / Satellite / Client in a top-down config sync setup.

Icinga Client Version: Icinga2-v2.6.2

Windows client is either Windows 10 or Server 2016 (checks complete successfully on Windows 7, 8, 2008R2 and 2012 R2 systems

Error message on Icinga Web 2 is: Failed to format error message, last error was: 2149863436

Think there are some fundamental changes to how Windows 10 / Server 2016 handles updates. Should I approach the updates check differently for these OS flavours?

Thanks

• It is fine here, he is referring to the Icinga 2 integrated plugins.

I've seen that error a while back (just googled the error message, and found this thread again): network-windows auf Windows7: "Failed to format error message, last error was: 3221228472" - might be related since it also queries the windows api.

• Nah, don't be sorry. If anyone else says "plugins", I'll move the thread. It is just bundled in the icinga2 msi package, so it is a bit more icinga2 related than standalone plugins imho. I'm open to sugesstions like yours. keep up the good work :)

• Thanks guys, don't mind if the thread is moved, did try to consider most appropriate category :-)

I use WSUS to update the test systems and they are joined to a test domain with group policy applied. It looks like this issue occurs with a specific group policy setting. I had "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" set to Enabled. This prevents the Windows Update Agent from reporting correctly to Icinga. After changing this setting to Disabled or Not Configured the Icinga client started reporting correctly again.

This settings can be found in the following location within the Group Policy Management Console:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

For more information about these settings, see here

The post was edited 2 times, last by Kidjo: I had an error in my original post and captured the incorrect group policy setting that was preventing the Icinga Client from completing the Updates check successfully. Have tested various group policy settings to confirm. ().