No icinga instance writing to IDO?

• I encountered another Problem I can't seem to fix!

Why is it so hard to install icinga web2?

I set up my databases accorting to the Icinga Wiki here:
    https://docs.icinga.com/icinga…tarted#enabling-ido-mysql

I had a problem with the settings in the point "configuration" (webinterface).

Code
    1. "There is currently no icinga instance writing to the IDO. Make sure that a icinga instance is configured and able to write to the IDO."        Validation Log        Connection to icinga2 as icingaweb on localhost: successful    have_ssl: DISABLED    protocol_version: 10    version: 5.7.17-1    version_compile_os: Linux

Although the User does have access to the Database

Code
    1.     root@netzwerkmonitor:~# mysql -u icingaweb -p    Enter password:    Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.    Your MySQL connection id is 34    Server version: 5.7.17-1 (Debian)        Copyright (c) 2000, 2016, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.        Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its    affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective    owners.        Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.        mysql>

When I skip that point after many reinstalls and different tries... I get this in the end!

Code
    1.     Successfully connected to existing database "icinga"...    Creating database schema...    Creating login "administrator"...    Granting required privileges to login "administrator"...    The database has been fully set up!        General configuration has been successfully written to: /etc/icingaweb2/config.ini        Authentication configuration has been successfully written to: /etc/icingaweb2/authentication.ini    Unable to create account "administrator". An error occured:    ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception in /usr/share/icingaweb2/library/vendor/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php:139 with message: SQLSTATE[42000] [1115] Unknown character set: 'UTF'    Account "administrator" has been successfully defined as initial administrator.        User Group Backend configuration has been successfully written to: /etc/icingaweb2/groups.ini    Unable to create user group "Administrators". An error occured:    ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception in /usr/share/icingaweb2/library/vendor/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php:139 with message: SQLSTATE[42000] [1115] Unknown character set: 'UTF'        Resource configuration has been successfully written to: /etc/icingaweb2/resources.ini        Monitoring backend configuration has been successfully written to: /etc/icingaweb2/modules/monitoring/backends.ini    Resource configuration has been successfully updated: /etc/icingaweb2/resources.ini        Command transport configuration has been successfully created: /etc/icingaweb2/modules/monitoring/commandtransports.ini        Monitoring security configuration has been successfully created: /etc/icingaweb2/modules/monitoring/config.ini        Module "monitoring" has been successfully enabled.

I'm getting frustrated and I feel stupid, because it's so incredibly hard to set it up, even if you follow the Wiki step-by-step.

Code
    1. The only thing that seemed fishy to me was this when I set it up:        mysql>  CREATE DATABASE icinga;    Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)        mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, DROP, CREATE VIEW, INDEX, EXECUTE ON icinga.* TO 'icinga'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'icinga';    Query OK, 0 rows affected, 1 warning (0.00 sec)    

Code
    1. And the error is:        mysql> show warnings        ->        -> ;    +---------+------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+    | Level   | Code | Message                                                                                                                            |    +---------+------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+    | Warning | 1287 | Using GRANT for creating new user is deprecated and will be removed in future release. Create new user with CREATE USER statement. |    +---------+------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+    1 row in set (0.00 sec)        But it does not seem to fail, I think.Any idea?

I did two more clean install of Debian 8.7 and followed the guide I mentioned, and one in my mother tongue, but I get the same error!

• Icinga Web 2 expects that you've properly setup Icinga 2 and its IDO database backend. The setup wizard checks that there's an active Icinga 2 instance running and populating the database already. You can skip that check if you do not care at this time, i.e. Icinga 2 hasn't been running yet.

Is that the case?

The following error sounds strange, did you attempt to modify the configuration by hand and provide an incomplete character set setting? 'UTF' would need 'UTF8'.

Code
    1. An error occured: ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception in /usr/share/icingaweb2/library/vendor/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php:139 with message: SQLSTATE[42000] [1115] Unknown character set: 'UTF'

Btw - which wiki are you following? Might contain outdated information.

• Hi, I'm sorry for my late reply, I was expecting an email-notification, actually, haha!

So, I follow the icinga docs here https://docs.icinga.com/icinga…tarted#enabling-ido-mysql

I set it up according to them and every step they described succeded for me.
    I alrady ran icinga before installing the web2 and mysql, after ever new installation the docs tell me to restart the icinga2 service and so I did.

In the end (or somwhere near the end) I have to install mysql, IDO and then populate the icinga2 database with the mysql command.
    Boom, after that I can go to the webinterface and make the web installation/configuration.

At the time the error comes: mysql is running, icinga2 is running, ido is running,

• Doesn't seem like that. I highly dislike the fact that users are crossposting to the Icinga issue tracker on GitHub if responses take a while on this privately maintained community forum. https://github.com/Icinga/icingaweb2/issues/2799

I wasn't able to see anything specific in your systemd log, still waiting for some references on the Icinga Web 2 error if the error is gone and so on.