Apologize for the venting, but one of the biggest short comings of Director is the lack of documentation. I'm finding that many of the older blog posts are out of date for the most recent version. The help on github is also either out of date or glosses over points, leaving the reader unclear.
I have host notifications working (up and down), which took substantial searching and reading of blog posts and many hours to get working correctly. Now I'm trying to setup service monitoring and am also not clear how to proceed. I have a freshly configuring instance of Icinga2/IcingaWeb/Director. A couple questions:
1. Can someone outline the high level steps for setting up service monitoring. (something like create service templates, apply to host or host template?)
2. Do I have to create a template for each individual service, for example a template for ping4, a template for ssh, a template for host alive etc? I tried creating a default service template but Director seems to require that I include some check command in this default template?
3. Do I need to create a generic/default service template that other service templates need to inherit from?
4. Once Service templates are created should services be added to the host template or directly to hosts?
5. When creating apply rules for service templates Do I have to specify both "Apply For" and "Assign Where?"
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. One of my biggest fears is that I'm going to have a poorly configured icinga2/Director instance as the foundation of my monitoring project.