This forums serves as platform for community members to discuss monitoring, metrics, events, logs, devops, ... anything which targets these topics or needs an integration.
Improve the conversation
Please treat this place like you would walk into a public place. Treat everyone with respect, even if someone disagrees on your opinion. Listen what others suggest and learn from their experience.
Create a new thread for your question with your own details. Older threads might not necessarily fit, and also requires others to scroll and read history to fully understand if your issue is the same.
Keep it friendly and relaxed
We all have our problems and are sometimes frustrated when things do not work. Please hide frustration when asking a question here. A message which adds negative items like "annoying" feels different to a clear-cut problem description. The latter will be answered and discussed more often, while aggressive posts tend to receive zero answers.
Please don't stress it if answers take their time. We are human beings with our day job, and try to help you for free. Don't choose the impolite way to demand something "urgent" in a private message or email. Be patient and wait for an answer. If you need faster professional support from an enterprise partner, please consult the project's websites if they offer such.
Things to keep in mind:
- Be civil. Don’t post anything that one would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
- Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
- Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.
- Choose the right category. A question for Icinga Web 2 does not fit into "Important Notes" or "Plugins".
This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.
Before you post your question
- Use Google and the forum search. Maybe a similar thread already solves your problem.
- Does documentation provide a troubleshooting guide already? If yes, try that first and add your findings here.
- If you think you've hit a bug, look into the upstream GitHub project if it already exists and link it in your post.
Please make sure to include every little detail in your question. This helps community members to analyse your problem, and they do not need to ask again to find out more about your issue. Longer threads are hard to read and take longer to find the optimal solution. Sometimes a screenshot or a handcrafted overview picture help even more to understand what you mean.
You should also ensure that your posting is formatted. Use the code tags (the </> icon in the editor) to format shell output, configuration snippets, log lines for better readability.
Things you should always include
- Which documentation source did you use (URL, short quote).
- Distribution name and its version (/etc/os-release or /etc/*-release or /etc/*-version) of any involved host.
- Software versions (<applicationname> --version or via web interface - About).
- Installation method (packages, or source, and if Git, git show -1).
Configuration and steps to reproduce or understand the question
- Configuration files you've edited (their content formatted with code tags, their location on disk).
- Cluster and HA related configuration details (e.g. Zone/Endpoint configuration in zones.conf in Icinga 2, my.cnf for MySQL replication, etc.).
- Order of things, e.g. notification was triggered, corresponding debug log entries, your analysis.
- Keep your private details safe. Remove passwords, credentials, etc. and obfuscate host names from your company environment.
Add the things you've tried already
- Configuration changes which did not work, but could explain your idea.
- Describe your idea in detail. Don't throw something and ask for a ready-to-use configuration snippet.
- If it could be a bug, did you try a snapshot package or attempted to fix it already?
Learn from others
Community members will help you to learn about all the tools we use and love. Please understand that you won't get copy-paste solutions all the time. The more you are willing to invest into your learning curve, the more you will benefit later on.
Helping others and learning new things is a good feeling. If you think the same, chime into this forum on a regular basis and add your help and opinion. This is what matters most in our community. Others will honour that, making you the expert.
- Icinga 2, Icinga Web 2, ...: https://www.icinga.com/docs/
- OMD Labs: https://labs.consol.de/de/omd/index.html
- Monitoring Plugins: Docs & Plugin API specification
- NSClient++: https://docs.nsclient.org/
- Thruk: https://www.thruk.org/documentation/
- Manubulon SNMP Plugins: https://github.com/dnsmichi/manubulon-snmp
- Graphite: https://graphite.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
- InfluxDB: https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/
- Grafana: http://docs.grafana.org/
- Elastic Stack: https://www.elastic.co/guide/index.html
- Graylog: http://docs.graylog.org/
- Puppet: https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/
- Ansible: http://docs.ansible.com/
- Chef: https://docs.chef.io/